1. The SCA prohibits bullying and harassment of all individual and groups.
2. Bullying is ongoing and unwelcome behavior which involves the use of influence, threat, intimidation, or coercion to cause hurt or harm to another person or group of people. When the bullying behavior is based on a protected class, that behavior is defined as harassment. Protected classes include race, sex, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
3. The test for bullying is both the reasonableness of the behavior and the impact of that behavior on the recipient.
4. Bullying and harassment may be overt, as in the following non-inclusive list of examples:
a. Verbal abuse, including using racial, homophobic, transphobic, ableist epithets, etc.
b. Non-consensual physical contact, threats of violence, or threatening gestures
c. Displaying material that is offensive, degrading, or threatening to a protected class
d. Consistent demeaning remarks or malicious teasing
e. Stalking or predatory behavior
5. It may also be covert, as in the following non-inclusive list of examples:
a. Spreading rumors or innuendo with malicious intent.
b. Deliberate exclusion, isolation, or alienation of an individual without just cause.
c. Using rank, title, or office to intimidate others.
6. Provided that the behavior does not rise to the criteria listed above, bullying and harassment is not:
a. Single episodes of social rejection, dislike, tactlessness, or forgetfulness
b. Mutual arguments, disagreements, or fights
c. The termination, mutual or not, of a romantic relationship or friendship
d. Reasonable constructive feedback or critique
e. Reasonable instructions or guidance issued by officers or agents of the SCA in the performance of their duties.
7. Participants engaging in bullying/harassment are subject to appropriate sanctions. If an individual believes they have been subjected to or have witnessed harassment, bullying, or retaliation, that person should contact a seneschal, the President of the SCA, or that kingdom’s Board Ombudsman.
8. The following statement must be posted at gate/troll at every SCA event in a size large enough for people to see it as they enter our events. This language must likewise be quoted in ALL site handouts at every event or site where a handout is made available. THE SCA PROHIBITS HARASSMENT AND BULLYING OF ALL INDIVIDUALS AND GROUPS. Participants engaging in this behavior are subject to appropriate sanctions. If you are subjected to harassment, bullying or retaliation, or if you become aware of anyone being harassed or bullied, contact a seneschal, President of the SCA, or your Kingdom’s Board Ombudsman.